One of the things that most people spend more money on than is necessary is their mobile phone. Are you leaking funds without even realising it? There are many elements that come together to form our mobile contract, so we often simply accept the price we have been quoted and forget about it. But you could be paying way more than you need to! Let’s take a look at some of the hidden ways people pay more for their mobile phone than is required:
- Your old phone is sitting in your drawer – If you have upgraded to a new phone, great! But why is your old phone sitting in your drawer? So long as it is not completely broken or bust, you should be able to make a bit of money from it. In fact, there are even companies that take on destroyed phones and still pay you a bit of cash.
- You tied into a two-year contract – Two-year contracts are a thing of the past. They drain your bank account and tie you into something for the long haul. There are many companies that no longer force you into a two-year contract, and so once your contract is over, you should definitely switch to a shorter plan. After all, do you really want to be tied into something expensive and potentially unsuitable for the next two years?
- You have a plan that is much bigger than what you need – Are you paying a fortune for unlimited data? Perhaps you’ve got unlimited calls or texts added on as well? If you actually require these features, then that’s fine; you should keep them. But most people don’t need unlimited data or texts. One of the ways to find out whether you do is to head to the Settings on your smartphone. If you have an iPhone, you will navigate to Cellular, and then Cellular Data Usage. You should hit the ‘reset statistics’ button and then check your cellular data usage after a month. This will give you a great idea regarding how much you actually use, enabling you to determine whether you are paying for data you don’t even need.
- You are on a contract that is not right for you – Most people choose mobile phone contracts out of convenience, rather than choosing something that is right for them. If you have a bad credit rating, you should turn to companies like Zaggor.com that provide mobile phone contracts for people in this exact position. By doing that, you will know that the contracts are perfectly tailored to suit your situation, making them more manageable and more affordable.
- You don’t see the bigger picture – One of the mistakes a lot of people make when sorting out a new phone contract is going for the one with the cheapest initial cost. However, you should look at the cost overall. If your phone contract lasts for a two-year period, determine how much it is going to cost for the entire two years. This is the only way to work out what type of contract or phone deal is going to be the cheapest solution overall.